I Checked Google's Own Billing Console So You Don't Have To: The Real Text-to-Speech Free Tier, Voice by Voice

I went looking for one number -- how many characters of WaveNet audio I get for free every month on Google Cloud Text-to-Speech -- and found two sources that flatly contradicted each other. One search result, synthesized from several pricing-comparison sites, said the free tier was alive and generous: 4M Standard characters, 1M WaveNet, 1M Neural2, stacking every month. A second source, fetched directly from a different pricing-aggregator page, said the opposite in plain language: "Google Cloud Text-to-Speech does not offer a free plan as of August 2026." Same product, same month, opposite claims. Neither of those sites is Google. So I stopped trusting either one and went to check the only source that could actually settle it -- my own billing account.

Where the real numbers live

Google Cloud's console has a page most people never open on purpose: Billing → Pricing, which lists every SKU tied to your billing account along with its tiered pricing, filterable by service. It's not a marketing page -- it's the same data that generates your actual invoice, last updated (as of this writing) the same day I checked it. Filtering to "Text-to-Speech" surfaced 21 separate SKUs, because "free tier" isn't one number at all; it's a distinct allowance per voice model, each with its own reset and its own price once you're past it.

Bar chart showing free monthly character allowances: Standard 4,000,000, WaveNet 1,000,000, Chirp3-HD 1,000,000, Studio 1,000,000

The actual numbers, per voice type

Voice typeFree tier (characters/month)Price after free tier (per 1M chars)
Standard4,000,000₩5,806.96
WaveNet1,000,000₩23,227.84
Chirp3-HD1,000,000₩43,552.20
Studio1,000,000₩232,278.40

So: the "no free tier" claim was wrong, at least for my account, on this date. Standard voices in particular are more generous than either source I'd read suggested -- the free allowance runs to 4 million characters before any charge kicks in, not 1 million. WaveNet, Chirp3-HD, and Studio each get their own separate 1M-character allowance, and -- this is easy to miss -- those tiers appear to stack rather than share a pool, since each showed up as an independent SKU with its own "0 to 1,000,000 = free" row.

The one voice type that's quietly gone

I went in expecting to find Neural2 in this list, because it's the voice tier most tutorials still reference. It isn't there. What is there instead is a set of Gemini 2.5 and Gemini 3 Flash/Pro TTS SKUs, billed by input and output tokens rather than by character count. I can't tell you with confidence whether that's a straight rename, a pricing-model change, or Neural2 being phased out in favor of Gemini-branded voices -- I'm reporting what my console actually shows, not what I assume happened between whatever documentation I'd half-remembered and today. If your project specifically depends on Neural2 pricing, this is exactly the kind of thing to check on your own billing account before you build around a number you read somewhere else, including this post.

Why I'm not just linking you the pricing page instead

I could have sent you to cloud.google.com/text-to-speech/pricing and called it done, and normally that's the right move. The reason I didn't fully trust it as my only source here is that fetching it directly returned a truncated page with no pricing table content at all -- which is itself a useful data point. A pricing page that won't reliably render for an automated fetch is a pricing page you shouldn't take a single confident read of, from any source, without a second check. The billing console's Pricing tab turned out to be the more reliable source specifically because it isn't a marketing page trying to load ads and comparison widgets around the numbers -- it's a plain filtered table, tied to your actual account, generated the same way your invoice is.

If you want to check your own account

Console → Billing → Pricing → toggle to "view all SKUs" → filter by service description for whatever API you're relying on. It takes about two minutes once you know the page exists, and it settles arguments that a dozen search results won't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Wired Up Fully-Automated Cross-Posting Between Blogger and dev.to (With Working Code)

I Tried to Build a Free AI Shorts Channel. Here's Why I Pivoted to Writing Instead.

I Compared the Free Tiers of Google Flow, Kling AI, and Hailuo So You Don't Have To