One Month In: The Number That Finally Moved Wasn't the One I Expected
This blog turned one month old this week. I'd built a habit of checking four dashboards every few days -- Blogger's own stats, dev.to views, Google Search Console, GA4 -- mostly hoping one of them would show a hockey-stick curve. None of them did. But something did move, and it wasn't the metric I expected.
The metric that stayed at zero
Search Console clicks: zero. Not "low" -- zero, for the entire month. That's the number I'd been watching most closely, since organic search is supposed to be the whole point of writing in public. Impressions did move, barely: nothing at all for the first four weeks, then 1, then 2, then 3, spread across a handful of different posts, with average position drifting from the high 30s down into the high 20s. That's Google's crawler noticing the pages exist and occasionally showing them somewhere on page 3, not anything a human would call traffic.
The metric that actually moved
GA4 visitors went from roughly 1-2 a week in the first two weeks to 9-10 a week more recently. That's still a small number in absolute terms, but the shape of the change is the interesting part: it didn't track with anything I did to the site. It tracked with a comment thread. A dev.to reader left detailed technical feedback on the OAuth-token post, I replied, and the back-and-forth pulled in referral views to that post and the Search Console post next to it -- not from a search engine at all, from dev.to's own recommendation surface and whatever the commenter's own audience clicked through from. The single biggest jump in real visitors this month came from one person reading carefully and replying, not from three weeks of SEO housekeeping.
| Metric | Week 1 | Week 4 (now) |
|---|---|---|
| Search Console impressions (28-day) | 0 | 3 |
| Search Console clicks (28-day) | 0 | 0 |
| Search Console avg. position | -- | 26.7 |
| GA4 visitors (7-day) | 1-2 | 9-10 |
| dev.to views, best post | 4 | 34 |
Why zero clicks a month in isn't actually alarming
Before this project started, I'd looked into how long a backlink-free new site typically takes to get real organic search traction, and the honest answer researchers and SEO practitioners give is somewhere in the 3-6 month range for a domain Google has no history with -- this blog is one month into that window, not failing at the end of it. I'm noting that here mainly so I don't quietly panic about it in month two: zero clicks in month one is inside the range I already told myself to expect, not a sign the approach is broken.
What I'm actually changing because of this
Nothing drastic, but one real adjustment: I've stopped treating Search Console as the primary signal of whether this is "working" and started paying more attention to dev.to and any inbound reader engagement instead, since that's the channel that's actually produced a real human response so far. The automation -- scheduled publishing, cross-posting, internal linking -- keeps running the same way regardless. What changed is where I look first when I check in on this project.
Comments
Post a Comment