Three Weeks In: What the Real Numbers Say (Including the Ones I'd Rather Not Show You)

Twenty-one days ago I published the first post on this blog. Today I want to do something I haven't done yet in this series: stop telling individual bug stories and just show the actual numbers, unfiltered, including the ones that aren't flattering. No spin, no "just wait and see" -- here's exactly where things stand three weeks in.

The dev.to side: real, if modest, growth

Ten posts are live. Every one of them cross-posts automatically to dev.to a few seconds after Blogger publishes it. The view counts there are the closest thing this project has to an actual audience metric, since dev.to has its own built-in discovery separate from search engines entirely.

dev.to 글별 조회수 막대 차트

The spread is wide -- from 0 to 34 -- and there's no clean story explaining why one post did better than another. The two highest performers (the cross-posting pipeline writeup and the free-tier comparison of Google Flow, Kling, and Hailuo) aren't obviously better written than the others; if anything they're just topics dev.to's audience happened to be more curious about that week. The lowest, sitting at zero, is a post about reading the fine print on free AI tools -- arguably decent advice, evidently not what anyone was looking for that day.

The search engine side: still basically silent

This is the part with nothing good to report yet. Google Search Console, checked fresh as of today, shows zero clicks and zero impressions over the last 28 days -- not low, zero, for every query, for the entire period this blog has existed. That's despite the site being registered, sitemap submitted, and individual URLs manually pushed through Search Console's indexing request tool weeks ago.

Naver and Bing were registered more recently, so it's too early to expect anything from them yet. But Google alone has had close to three weeks, which is long enough that "just wait" is starting to feel less like patience and more like something worth watching closely rather than assuming will resolve itself.

The direct-traffic side: a couple of real humans

Google Analytics tells a slightly different story than Search Console, because it counts every visit regardless of where it came from -- direct links, dev.to referrals, anything. Over the last 7 days: 2 visitors, 6 pageviews. Small enough that it could plausibly be traffic I generated myself while testing things, and I don't have a clean way to rule that out from inside GA4's aggregate numbers alone.

지표숫자
발행 글 수10편
dev.to 누적 조회수159회
구글 Search Console 클릭 / 노출 (28일)0 / 0
GA4 방문자 (최근 7일)2명
GA4 페이지뷰 (최근 7일)6회

What these numbers actually tell me

Put together, the honest read is: dev.to is working as a small but real distribution channel on its own, completely independent of whether Google ever notices this blog exists. Google search, so far, has contributed nothing measurable. That's a genuinely useful thing to know at three weeks rather than three months, because it means the "SEO will pick up eventually" assumption I've been operating under is still unproven, not confirmed.

I don't think that's a reason to change course yet -- three weeks is short for a domain with zero backlinks and zero prior history, and the registration work is done. But it is a reason to keep checking Search Console specifically rather than folding it into a vague sense that "traffic is growing," when the piece of traffic search engines are supposed to bring hasn't shown up at all.

Related reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My OAuth Tokens Kept Expiring Every 7 Days, and the Reason Was a Dropdown Labeled 'Testing'

How I Wired Up Fully-Automated Cross-Posting Between Blogger and dev.to (With Working Code)

I Compared the Free Tiers of Google Flow, Kling AI, and Hailuo So You Don't Have To